GenderPulse represents a tool for interactive and easy to understand graphical viewing of gender-sensitive statistical indicators. Studying of gender equality is important, as it is frequent a source and criterion of vulnerability, inequity or marginalization.
GenderPulse is based on the data provided by the the National Bureau of Statistics, which publishes on regular basis on its official page gender-sensitive information, in particular the Statistical Data Bank StatBank. StatBank contains a separate compartment on gender statistics , with an ample set of data tables, from different areas, useful from the gender equality analysis viewpoint.
The main advantage of this platform is the fact that it is maintained by specialists - statisticians who take into account the standards related to data quality assurance.
The application GenderPulse is meant for all those who are interested in gender issues: representatives of central and local public administration, involved in decision-making in the political and economic areas, as well as nongovernmental organizations, representatives of academia, mass-media, who monitor and analyze the situation related to equality of chances, as well as the general public.
This solution represents in an easy-to-understand manner the gender-sensitive statistical data and topics related to these data, which are collected and produced by different state institutions and are kept in a centralized way by the National Bureau of Statistics. The final aim of the GenderPulse is to increase the level of understanding of the statistical indicators, through examples of interpretation of such indicators' meaning and the graphical view of the data they express.
This web application brings an added value to the existing information tools and systems, being used either as sources of information, or as solution for transfer of statistics.
GenderPulse is based on automated solutions of data transfer, data hosting on open and closed governmental platforms, open source technologies and open data principles use, hence ensuring high sustainability and potential for development of other web applications based on existing systems or adaptation for new platforms, for instance the mobile ones.
GenderPulse is an application worth of international level attention, from technological and utility point of view.
Advantages of GenderPulse:
- User friendly – the intuitive interface of the web application and its content include illustrations and pictograms specific for the viewed topics, thus allowing the assimilation of statistical data by users, without having advanced knowledge in the area;
- Interactive infographics – view of data was associated traditionally with printed-out products, but along the web technologies' development, there were explored new dimensions for presenting information, in which the users have an active role, and the presented data depend on their actions and interests. In GenderPulse the users have the freedom to choose the parameters for displaying the information. At the same time, the specialists-statisticians and designers pointed out certain parameters through graphical elements and conclusions;
- „Open data” and data quality principles – when developing the application, the requirements ensuring its viability over the time were considered: presence of data disaggregated by different criteria (sex, age, region, etc.), their availability in open format, opportunity and regularity of data renewal, conservation of data publication address, observance of structure, automation potential;
- Sustainability – the existence of the application over the time is ensured through technologies used in creation, another element being its hosting in Cloud infrastructure created for the state projects, as well as through the institutionalization of the application by the National Bureau of Statistics – the authority dealing with production of highly qualitative and reliable statistical information;
- Innovation in design and development – development of vector graphics in SVG format ensures and exceptional quality in displaying the images without losing the quality. The programming languages and included technologies allow similar display of infographics on different computers and in different browsers;
- Capacity to be reused – focus on automated transfer of data from StatBank into GenderPulse allows displaying the new data without the intervention of operators or programmers (taking over through API StatBank and dategov.md). The application performs the automated display of conclusions after modifying the data which may be taken together with the images of high quality by specialists from different areas.
Statistics that comes from the whole Moldova
National Bureau of Statistics collects data in a centralized way and validates it
Experts-statisticians interpret the figures as conclusions
Statbank hosts, disseminates, visualizes statistics and transfers them to Date.gov.md
Date.gov.md - solution that hosts statistical data in open and free format
Gender Pulse - application that visualizes statistics as interactive infographs
For the application aimed to be intuitively used, certain technological elements have been applied which allowed the implementation of this project as a fusion of data, design and programming:
- Frameworks: Laravel 5.2;
- Modes of animation/ display: transitions D3.js, animations jQuery, animations CSS3;
- Backend API: PC-Axis, CKAN;
- Serverside soft: Apache, MariaDB, PHP 7, wkhtmltoimage.
Statistician, expert ingender statistics, NationalBureau of Statistics
Development of the concept,set of indicators andconclusions
Statistician, specialist ingender statistics, NationalBureau of Statistics
Development of the informational content andconclusions, verification ofdata integrity
Creation of the visual identity of the project and development of the infographics design
Drafting the architecture,integration of API
Web programming and interactive viewing
Coordinator of technical works
Development of the technicalceoncept and monitoring theimplementation
UNDP Project Manager
Organization and coordination of activities, monitoring the quality and deadlines for concept development
Specialist in data bank,National Bureau of Statistics
Keeping and updating thedata source
System Administrator,National Bureau of Statistics
Setting the parameters andkeeping the serverresources
Platforms andProducts Consultant
Program Specialist, UNWomen
Specialist in Monitoring andEvaluation, UN Women
Taking over, use, and distribution of views on this platform is authorized only under the condition of indicating in clear and exact manner their source and namely “Source: www.genderpulse.md based on the data of the National Bureau of Statistics of the Republic of Moldova.”
This platform was developed by the National Bureau of Statistics of the Republic of Moldova with the support of the United National Development Programme (UNDP) and UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women), under the Joint UN Project “Strengthening the National Statistical System”.